How to Format a USB Memory Stick Drive for Standalone DVR Backup
This article helps explain step by step how to format your USB memory stick or thumb drive for backing on a Standalone DVR. Usually, the format required is FAT32 but you can check your instruction manual.
- Insert the USB memory stick into the computer and format it to FAT32.
- To do this insert the stick into USB slot and allow it to install drivers.
- Open MY COMPUTER.
- See the USB Memory Stick (it will be assigned a drive letter automatically so I am unsure what your computer will assign. Usually not A, B, C or D.
- Be 100% sure that you choose the right drive. This can be tested by removing and reinserting the USB stick and watching for the drive letter to appear and disappear.
- *** WARNING: Formatting the drive will erase all data. Formatting the wrong drive will delete files on the drive that is being formatted. ***
- Right click on the Memory stick drive and choose FORMAT from the list that appears.
- Check Quick Format box so that the format occurs quickly. Some formats can take several minutes or longer depending on the size.
- In the FILE SYSTEM box choose FAT32.
- Click Start and wait for message that Format is Complete to appear.