The Difference Between a Professional Security Camera System and a Ring Type Camera System
The difference between a professional security camera system and a Ring type camera system is fairly obvious. One is professionally installed and the other is DIY do it your self. If you want DIY security, then no worries. Go for the Ring type. I personally love their doorbells although I have other brands that are as good or better that do the same thing. But I would not install Ring type cameras on my business or home for may reasons.
Yes, our cameras are much different than a Ring type doorbell or cameras.
These are the Pros and Cons to consider when choosing Ring type security.
- You pay for recording storage unless you want the included very limited storage. You eventually pay a lot for storage. Over a period of a few years, you could have bought another camera system with what you pay in storage
- If you’re not into the idea of a DIY job, this could be a problem. Depending on the camera, the Ring type camera may require electrical wiring. I am not a fan of battery powered cameras unless you religiously get on a ladder and charge them. Keep in mind, the cameras are not providing security when they are being charged.
- Ring type requires Wi-Fi and you may have issues connecting if the Wi-Fi signal is weak. If your WiFi router is far away from the Ring, then there may be problems viewing the video.
- Ring type provides videos with a fish-eye quality. Some people might not like the distortion.
- 1080p aka 2 Megapixel may not show all the details of the person or the object you’re trying to read off of, eg, a parcel label.
- Our system is 5 megapixel 4K (8 megapixel) versus 2 Megapixel for the Ring type.
- Our systems offer 24/7 color for night time true color without black and white infrared images.
- Our system has a 3 year warranty versus Ring's 1 year. For a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase of your Ring product1, or one (1) year from the date of receipt of your replacement Ring product (see Section II below for details), Ring LLC ("Ring") will, at its sole option, repair or replace any Ring products that malfunction due to defective parts or workmanship at no charge to you. This warranty is not transferable and applies only to the original consumer purchaser. Ring may, in its sole discretion, make any repair or replacement with new or refurbished product or components. If the product or component requiring repair or replacement is no longer available, Ring may, in its sole discretion, replace such product with a similar product of similar function.
- Our system has storage that once you purchase, you no longer need to worry about monthly fees. Ring type charges you.
- Our system is vandal resistant versus the Ring type not being so.
I can add more but this is the difference between a professional system and the Ring type. For the money, the Ring type is not terrible. But over time, the cost of a professional system may end up saving you money in the long run.